Friday, February 6, 2009

Places I’d Like to see Before I die…

When most people think “Dream Vacation,” they typically recall places like Fiji, Hawaii (ugh, don’t get me started on that one), the Bahamas, and more recently Dubai. While I am sure these “exotic” places have enough scenery to keep your desktop background updated for years, it is probably the only benefit to be had from one of those vacations. And I think what most people like about these places is that it is easy to travel to, there are five star resorts to stay at, and you have little to worry about beyond drinking your Pina Colada before it melts.

When I think dream vacation, I think adventure. To me this means climbing a mountain to the Incan Ruins or Climbing the Andes Mountains to find where the survivors of the Uruguayan rugby team lived for months. Or, if I feel lazy like everyone else, I’d at least like to visit those places that are OUTSIDE of the main tourist attractions.

In 2007, I took a mini tour of Scotland, traveling outside of the main Edinburgh and Glasgow metro areas, I saw one of the prettiest towns in the country. It’s called Luss, one of the small Villages along Loch Lomond. Even as hung-over as I was, it was one of the sights f the trip that made me appreciate my vacation. If I were to plan my vacation, it would be in traveling to towns like this that force me to appreciate the culture I am in. After all, there is a reason I am there, so why not “live” it, even temporarily.

I can get just as good of views of a small almost desolate town as I can in (snide tone) HAWAII.

No comments:

Post a Comment